Monday 6 October 2014

My Song Choice and Idea (Applied to Brief)


I have been briefed to produce a music video along with a corresponding digipack and poster to promote the record.


I have decided to create a music video for ‘Never Grow Up’ by Taylor Swift. The song is from the perspective of the singer, telling a child to stay young forever and reminiscing about her own experiences of growing up. The lyrics describe the process of getting older, and it’s an emotional, moving song that can relate to a large audience, as everyone has to grow up and become independent one day. Taylor Swift is an artist who has developed from the country to pop music genre. Looking at my market research, I noticed that there wasn't a particularly popular genre with a big difference in votes. Rock, Indie and R&B were the top choices, but, as discussed previously, artists in this category often have their music videos produced alongside the release of their singles so it would be hard to replicate their high-budget videos. I decided to collaborate two genres that were voted for, country and pop, to create an even wider audience. Taylor Swift is a worldwide superstar but started off as a small-town country singer and Never Grow Up is not from a recent album so doesn't have a music video made with it already. Because Taylor Swift is well-known, my music video will hopefully attract a large audience, however it is still keeping within the country genre.


My idea is to use found-footage to collage together a narrative about growing up. I think using found-footage will be more relatable to the audience because it is personal and will keep them interested. However, I have also decided to include someone being the artist as that is what the market research voted for. I think it would also be easier to promote the music video if the audience had a person to associate the song with.


No comments:

Post a Comment